Questions to Ask Before By-pass Surgery
Bypass surgery is a major procedure and it is extremely important for you to understand what it entails. Here are some questions which you ought to discuss with your surgeon prior to the surgery.
- Will the surgery be done by using arterial grafts or venous grafts?
- Will the surgery be done off-pump, also called ‘beating heart surgery’ or will a cardio-pulmonary bypass machine be used?
- What is the risk involved in the surgery?
- If I do not choose to do surgery, what options do I have, and what are the pros and cons of the alternative options?
- How long will I have to stay in the ICU? How long will my hospital stay be?
- Will I have to be given a blood transfusion during or after the surgery?